Monday, September 27, 2010

Cancer and Santa Cruz

This trip to Santa Cruz was never meant to be fun.  At least, that's what I felt at first.  We were going to a place where we normally go when it's funtime.  Christmas, New Years...but, this time we were going there because my husband's mother, my lovely mother-in-law had CANCER and was having surgery.  Gods, I hate that word.  CANCER.  Cancer was becoming synonymous with Santa Cruz and I hated this thing called CANCER more than ever.  My husband and I wanted to provide support and just be with her for a few days while she healed.

When we reached the hospital surrounded by mountains and trees in Silicon Valley I breathed a little bit.  The hospital was top of the line. It was pretty. It had robots. It had art.  It had free coffee.

But, the moment I really knew everything was going to be okay was when I saw Janus right before the surgery.  She was in her hospital gown with an IV in her arm and a smile on her face.  She wasn't going to let her situation get her down.  She had more important things to worry about.  Turns out I needed her more than she needed me.     

WEDNESDAY




______________________________________________

THURSDAY 

The day after her surgery she wanted to go on a walk.  We walked along West Cliff.  She took us to some tide pools.  She stood on the edge of a rock and laughed.


Bonfire to celebrate the Harvest Moon 
All her friends were surprised to see her already out and about.

_______________________________________________

FRIDAY

Took some time out to break bread with some other loved ones in the area

________________________________________________

SATURDAY

Since Janus was doing really well, we did fun things.


5 photos stitched
*Pano*



Janus Laughingbear Blume
This is her, 3 days after her hysterectomy (or womboval, as I prefer), looking and feeling fabulous on her way out to celebrate life with friends.

"Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference."  
-Winston Churchill

All photos taken with an iPhone 3GS.  Used the Hipstamatic app except for one photo I used the Pano app.  Added text and made collages through Picnik.com.

2 comments:

bcj. said...

A great story told through great photos. I enjoy the colors and patterns you find as you experience your environment.

Rachel McCauley Photography said...

Thank you so much, Brian! Coming from a good photographer like you it means a lot. :)