Wednesday, September 15, 2010

iPhonetography with Kyle Cassidy

First of all, if you are not familiar with Kyle Cassidy's work please check him out.
Like, right now.Don't worry.  I'll wait.
http://kylecassidy.com
 See. Cool, huh?

Anyway, he is a photographer I admire quite a bit.  Not only are his photos amazing, but he is most generous.  He openly shares his wisdom, techniques and stories online and when I saw that he was offering up an iPhonetography wokshop here in LA I jumped at the chance.

I admit I was nervous at first, but then I quickly learned that I was being silly and that it was going to be awesome and all at the same time I'd gain the power of iPhonetography!  Woohoo!

The various applications used in the following photos were Photogene, PhotoMarkr, Lo-Mob, TiltShiftGen, Hipstamatic, Plastic Bullet, ShakeItPhoto and CameraBag.
All photos were taken and edited on an iPhone 3GS.
PhotoMarkr was used for all the photos to add my watermark
RACHELMCCAULEY.COM

The start of class (L to R Kyle, Michelle, Amy, Josh & Michael)
*Hipstamatic*
---------------------------------------------------

Our first stop was to buy some water somewhere in Montrose. Kyle challenged us to find photos, even when doing the mundane

*Plastic Bullet*

*Lo-Mob*

*ShakeItPhoto*

*Lo-Mob*

------------------------------------------------

Then on to Vazquez Rocks!  
Otherwise known as the Battle Rocks where Captain Kirk fought the Gorn.

*Tobacco graduated filter + CameraBag*

Captain Kyle beams down to the planet surface
*Plastic Bullet*

Vasquez Rocks
Away team on the lookout for photo opps and big lizards
*CameraBag*

Uh oh.  Are our heroes in danger?  Stay tuned...
*TiltShiftGen*

Spock begins his ascent
*Photogene*

Spock's point of view
*TiltShiftGen*

Unfamiliar terrain
*Photogene*

Pitfall close call
*Photogene*

Spock spies Kyle sliding down the rock face
*Hipstamatic*

Spock spies Amy iPhonetographing
*TiltShiftGen*

Spock spies Josh taking a break
*TiltShiftGen*

Stop in the shade to check out a strange rock formation.  Fascinating.
*Hipstamatic*

Keep on climbing
*Hipstamatic*

Scenery
*Hipstamatic*

*Hipstamatic*

*Hipstamatic*

My climbing gear
*Hipstamatic*

Another stop in the shade.  It was hot.
*Hipstamatic*

Reached the top only to find vultures (crows, really. just trying to be dramatic) circling
*Hipstamatic*

That's our clue to start our descent.  No sign of the Gorn up here.
*TiltShiftGen*

Oh no!  Our Captain is being attacked!!
*CameraBag*

Science officer Spock to the rescue!  Set phasers to KILL  *insert phaser sound here*
*CameraBag*

Captain Kyle (the Gorn ate his uniform before Spock shot his Gorn ass) and Spock take relief in a cave till Scotty can beam them back up
*CameraBag*

And you know what that means?  Photo shoot time!
*CameraBag*

Goodbye Vasquez Rocks!
*Hipstamatic*

-------------------------------------------------

Then we stopped off for smoothies at some random mall

Kyle challenged us again to find something interesting in the parking lot of this random mall.
This is what I came up with.
*Hipstamatic*

Sipping on smoothies at the food court in the mall, we commenced editing photos from Vasquez Rocks.  A rude lady walks by, stops and says, "Now, this is a sad picture."  And, then walks away.  
I guess she assumed we were being anti-social, which was the complete opposite of what was really happening.  If it weren't for this technology I would never have met all these cool people. At least, one good thing came out of that.  She inspired me to take this photo. :)
*CameraBag*

Here's a cute dog for the people who made it this far.  Here name is Aurora.
*TiltShiftGen*

And, how cool is Kyle's iPhone cover?  I wants.
*CameraBag*

So, for anyone worried about the price of photography, just know that it doesn't matter what equipment you have.  You don't need to spend hundreds of dollars on a fancy camera to get great photos.  Nowadays, camera phones are getting better and better and all the available apps for a couple of bucks can bring you tons of fun and lasting memories.

"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."

-Ernst Haas

EDIT - You can see Kyle's lovely travel diary here 

6 comments:

Amy said...

Kyle's camera case made me so happy!

Your photos turned out lovely; it was such a fun day. And I am so buying an iPhone now. That was just the last nudge I needed.

I hope Spock got to have a beer after all the climbing about and chasing lizards. ;)

Maura Janelle said...

So very awesome! Kyle is fantastic...I can't wait to see more of the photos.
So funny about that rude woman at the mall. I often debate that technology brings people together with folks who are anti-tech...

Your photos were very nice, I really liked the shots of just the rocks against that blue sky! good for you for jumping on this opportunity.

Rachel McCauley Photography said...

@Amy - Thanks! You will not be disappointed by the iPhone. Mine is my constant.

Alas, no beer for Spock. Only the finest Romulan Ale. :D

@Maura - Yes, Kyle is awesome. I think just like anything it's about balance. I do know some people that spend a wee bit too much time on their laptops. For me, the internet has been nothing but positive!

Thanks for checking out my photos. :)

kyle cassidy said...

Your tiltshifts camer out really well, the lizard and Spock's POV are both really nice. & your composition on some of the battle rocks shots is just spot on lovely.

Rhonda said...

That was a lot of fun, thank you for sharing it :)

Rachel McCauley Photography said...

@Kyle - Thanks! For some reason I was most nervous about the tiltshift app. I felt like I wasn't doing them right at firs,t but they turned out pretty cool. One of my new favorite apps!

@Rhonda - It was my pleasure. Thanks for looking!